Sunday, September 03, 2006


Bad weather ends play ?

I've spent the last hour trying to catch up on weather news on all possible TV channels in an effort to find out how accomodating it is in Manali-Leh Highway region and Ladakh. And the rains just don't seem to be giving up. The temperature is around 5°C in Manali. Which means, higher up in Rohtang La, it's going to be snowing. NDTV tells me that the flood situation in J&K is bad too. But the good news that i just got a from a fellow traveler contact,
Yogesh Sarkar, is that Manali - Leh route is open. He's leaving tomorrow on his bike from Delhi to Leh and plans to be back in 19 days time.

I hope all the sh*t that the weather is dishing out right now gets over in a few days time. Like Vikram told me today, "We can be totally prepared ..... but sh*t can happen anytime, anyhow". If it continues to rain and snow in Ladakh and J&K the way it is right now, then we'll have to return with empty camera rolls and memories. And I'll drink myself silly and get admitted to an alcohol de-addiction hospital.

I'm seriously worried about the outcome of our journey now and am just praying!!!!! I don't want to go to Manali and realise I can't go any further. The monsoon has been very bratty this year. It usually pours cats, dogs,
cows and camels in Bangalore during this time, but I don't remember when i saw rain clouds last in the sky here. And places in which rains are a rare guest have had more than their share this year. Gujarat bore the wrath of an angry monsoon a month ago. Rains also flooded the THAR (of all places!!!), and people had to be evacuated by the Indian Army. There is a critical flood situation in MP too and population is being evacuated to safety there even as I write this post.

I don't think I'll sleep well for the next few days!!!!!!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Varun, Was following your blog for the last couple of days. I have seen your travel schedule. Wonderful plan !! Dont worry things will be alright. I think too much of planning is taking toll on your travel too. I donot say that we shouldnt plan at all but too much can become a overkill. After all, a travel should be more a fun thing rather than just marching from one activity or location to another as per the schedule. A small drizill or an occasional delay for an hour should bring more happier moments than worry. Relax and chill out dude. I wish that the weather should not play a spoil sport to your journey and hope your journey is successful. I think one should "Enjoy the Journey' not only the final destination.

I dont know whether you agree with my thoughts but somehow felt writing back. You are welcome to comment at http://xpatsinsaudi.blogspot.com if you do not agree with me.

Chao!!!............Jwala Vijay

2:37 AM, September 04, 2006  
Blogger Varun said...

Hi Vijay,

Thanks for your interest in our travel plans. It really is very encouraging. You are very right about “excessive planning leading to overkill”. In fact, last year when we went to Sikkim, the best part was, nothing was planned. There was a suspense element to each day, which made the whole thing more enjoyable. Guess I should take your advice and take it a little easy on “planning” bit.

It’s great to know you are planning to travel to Egypt. But it’s sad that now you’ll have to put off your trip by sometime due to Ramadan. But I guess the wait will be worth it.

And I totally agree with what you have written in your blog. It’s just not the final destination; it’s also the prelude to the destination that makes a journey immensely enjoyable – the planning, the minute expectations etc. In fact, i tried leaving this comment on your blog repeatedly but just couldn't because of a server issue. Anyway, keep us updated about your travel plans.

Luck!!!!!!

7:08 PM, September 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your revert varun. Have a nice time. I would be constantly updating my plans on my blog.

Bye......Jwala Vijay

PS : I am also not able to comment on your blog with my id. so am commenting as Anonymous

2:34 AM, September 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha..magaa the COW hyperlink was ultiiimate le. Atleast this way haali will become popular.

5:33 PM, September 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home