Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Stephen Robert "Steve" Irwin (Feb 22, 1962 – Sep 04, 2006)

"Because when they strike, it can be that quick that if they're within range, you're dead, you're dead in your tracks. And his head weighs more than my body so it's WHACK! ".

As I play this statement in my mind, I can hear exactly how Steve would have said it. With that thick twang of an Australian accent!!! And a sudden feeling of disbelief settles down on me. Steve Irwin's death this morning, after being fatally pierced in the chest by a stingray barb while diving in Queensland's Barrier Reef, came as a shocker to me. It's not that I knew this man or shared any small history with him. But i've lost count of the number of hours I spent in front of the TV watching him catching and playing with crocodiles and alligators, like a small child would with mud or clay.

Steve was a true animal lover. To the hilt. His passion for conservation of natural habitat of animals is legendary. Check out this
video in which he's bawling like a baby at the death of one the crocodiles he rescued.

"She was one of my best friends ...... i loved her like my wife.", he cries. I was moved. I feet wasted.

He lived for the animals and with the animals. He also died by them. I'm sure he that's how he would have liked to kick the bucket ..... amongst animals !!!!!

I take my baggy green off for Steve Irwin !!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home